Sunday, November 28, 2010

Confrontation between two friends

Dorothy noticed something was bothering Benjamin as he didn't seem to be happy like always, and didn't talk to her as much as he used to.

Dorothy finally asked: "Hey Ben, are you alright? Have I said anything that offended you unintentionally or is there anything that's bothering you? You seem to be rather unhappy lately."

Benjamin was a little uneasy when he replied: "Hey Dorothy, not at all. I'm quite alright, maybe a little tired as I'm quite tied up with work recently, but I'm really fine, thanks for your concern."

Dorothy really thought he was alright until he came to her few days later.

"Mind if I ask you a question?" somewhat hesitated, he asked deliberately.

"Sure, go ahead," Dorothy was really curious now as Benjamin had never behaved like this before.

"OK, Have you...By any chances," hesitated for one last time before he continued, "Mentioned to anyone, maybe accidentally, about the freelance I did few months ago? Because apparently someone who's quite close to you knew about that freelance, somehow..."

With utmost disbelief, she replied agitatedly: "No, of course not! You know I always keep my words especially when I've explicitly promised that I will NEVER share it with anyone else when you told me about the freelance," She just couldn't believe that Benjamin was actually suspecting her to be the one who disclosed his secret.

"Thanks, Dorothy, I trust you, but I just wanted to re-confirm that you didn't do it, really thanks for reassuring me," Benjamin smiled at her with a relief on his face.

Dorothy replied: "Well, if you DID trust me, perhaps you didn't even have to re-confirm it by confronting me today...Anyways.


If he trusted her, why did he keep a distance from her when he found that his secret was exploded in the beginning? Wasn't it an obvious sign that he did not trust her initially?

If he did not trust her, why did he bother to 're-confirm' again that she didn't do it by confronting her later? Didn't it clearly tell that he still trusted her and whatever she said?

But if he DID trust her, why was such re-confirmation so significant? 

But if he DID NOT, he would have just continued keeping a distance from her and not even bother to seek for a re-confirmation, perhaps?

Its always something very delicate when it comes to TRUST.

No comments:

Post a Comment